Tips for an Easy Fast
3 months ago hkaplun 0
Sydney Winawer and Hannah Kaplun
Yom Kippur is coming up really soon, so we’ve come up with some helpful tips to help you have an easy fast!
Prior to the fast:
- Drink coconut water! Coconut water will help when it comes to fasting because it’s full of carbohydrates that will help keep the hunger away.
- Drink loads of water a day or two before to keep hydrated.
- The week before, start drinking less tea and coffee and eating foods with sugar.
- A couple days before, vary your meal schedule-that way, your body doesn’t get used to eating at a set time.
- Do not eat any salty foods before fasting because it will make you thirsty.
For the meal before the fast: It is a mitzvah to eat and drink in abundance on the eve of Yom Kippur. The separation meal, or the meal right before the start of the fast, is meant to be festive and it is a custom to dip challah in honey.
- Don’t over eat. There is a common misconception that you should eat a ton to make up for what you don’t eat. This stretches your stomach and actually makes you hungrier. Eat protein and complex carbs.
During the fast: It’s super hard, but don’t talk or think about food (although some claim that it makes them less hungry!).
- Nap! It’ll kill time and and makes the fast just a little easier.
- Sniff spices.
- Avoid wearing clothes that will make you sweat. This will cause dehydration.
- Going to shul will not only help keep you occupied and not constantly thinking about food, but it will also add extra meaning and purpose to the day.
CTeen Connection wishes you an easy fast!